Well, I don't know if you feel inspired. I'll admit that in the midst of a broken garage door, kids who teeter constantly on the glimmering brink of rationality but never quite make it there, and a house that seems to self-generate dirt, laundry and single socks, it is sometimes difficult for me. That said, it has been an inspiring year, and much of that is thanks to the incredible wealth of guidance and information that I've found online as I struggle to figure out how the publishing world works and where my work and I might fit into it. That said, it seems that jcmarcx over at "A Blog About Nothing" has found something inspirational in my blabber... he nominated me for the Liebster Award! In honor of Valentine's Day, I've elected to drop in the most Valentiney Liebster badge I could find. So, the internet doesn't offer much in terms of the origins of this "award." But from what I gather, it is an honor bestowed upon relatively new bloggers with followers of fewer than 200. The rules are as follows:
1. You must thank the person who gave you this award (Thanks jcmarcx!) 2. You must display the Liebster heart on your blog (Done) 3. You should nominate 3 to 5 up-and-coming blogs with less than 200 subscribers (Kinda hard to know how many followers people have...) 4. Each person must post 11 random things about themselves (see below) 5. Answer the questions given to you by the blogger who nominated you (Also below) 6. Create 11 questions for those you nominate to answer (Below!) 7. Notify your nominees and provide a link back to your post. 8. You’re not supposed to do “ping-backs”
Okay, so. First things first. 3-5 up and coming blogs. Some of the other posters who have written about this award say 11, but I'm lazy and strapped for time, so I'm gonna stick with this ruleset. :) I nominate the following folks:
Jacqueline Trotter at jacquelinetrotter.wordpress.com
Francis Guenette at Disappearing in Plain Sight
Michelle Proulx at michelleproulx.wordpress.com
Molly at Wrapped up in Books
My 11 Random Things:
- I cannot stand when a popsicle stick or corndog stick touches my teeth.
- I have a brother who is a rocket scientist.
- I've never seen The Godfather.
- I eat McDonald's french fries once a week.
- I love video games but have had to swear them off to write.
- My favorite color is pink.
- Raisinets are my go-to movie food.
- I once had a pet rabbit and two pet rats. And a bunch of mice that had babies and then ate them. Rodents are gross.
- I love gardening.
- I sometimes oil paint.
- I'm a little obsessive about cleaning. (and maybe some other stuff, too.)
Okay, the questions posed to me:
1. What are you currently reading?
City of Lost Souls by Cassandra Clare, a book of short stories by F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Winemaker by Noah Gordon, A Shimmer of Angels by Lisa M. Basso, and Fall of Giants by Ken Follett - yes, I always read lots of books at one time. No, I don't find it confusing.
2. What is your all-time favorite book?
The Power of One by Bryce Courtenay - at least that is my answer today!
3. What is your favorite genre of book to read?
Probably historical fiction... or paranormal set in a historical setting. I will admit to devouring every single one of the Sookie Stackhouse novels, too. :)
4. Do you have any designs to be a novelist?
5. Do you watch television? What is your favorite show?
Oh, yes, way too much, though since we unsubscribed from cable, I've been better. Weird how my writing career sort of began when we got rid of TV... but there's always the internet... I watch Grey's Anatomy, Downton Abbey, Parenthood, Game of Thrones, Entourage, Gossip Girl and the Vampire Diaries.
6. Do you write in silence, or do you need background noise?
I need silence mostly, though I am getting better at working when there's low level chaos around me.
7. Do you speak a second language?
I speak Lunchbox semi-fluently. (Lunchbox is what we call our youngest. He speaks what sounds like a mix of Arabic and crazytown, but I can make out most of it. He's three. I'm hoping he'll learn English soon.)
8. Have you ever met anyone famous?
Joe Peschi. I've seen Tim Robbins rollerblading in Chelsea... and saw Ralph Fiennes at PJ Clarkes (I think that was where we were)... Oh, and Ethan Hawke. Also in NYC.
9. Do you prefer an urban home, a suburban home, or a rural home?
Suburban. The best of both worlds.
10. What type of music do you prefer? Who is your favorite artist?
Right now it's Mumford and Sons, but I'm loving Florence and the Machine and Ed Sheeran.
11. Aside from writing, do you have any other talents that you would like to share with the world?
I'm a decent ballet dancer and can crochet tiny sweaters, hats and boots like nobody's business.
The 11 questions for those who take the challenge after me...
- Where would you live if you could live anywhere?
- Who is the most important person in your life?
- What most influenced the person you have become?
- Where were you on 9/11?
- Are you good at math?
- Describe the shoes you are wearing at this moment.
- Are you writing anything interesting?
- What is the best book you've ever read?
- What is your favorite word?
- What is the scariest thing you've done?
- What about your best friend makes you love them?
There you have it!
Thanks again for the nomination and for the fun challenge. If you haven't, please do go check out A Blog About Nothing. (It's actually about lots of stuff).